Thursday, February 12, 2009

Record Players and Old Albums


My mom gave me her stereo since she no longer listens to her albums. That was nice, but the real treasure is the stacks of albums I brought home, even though I really don't have room for them. Some of these albums are scratchy and some are like new; even a few are ruined.

The two pictured are childhood favorites of mine. I liked the song 'Wolverton Mountain' as a child, but my favorite was 'Pistol-packing Papa'. I had a beautiful horse that I can still picture in my head. It was one of those a few feet off the ground on a metal stand attached by thick metal springs. My mom said, and I vaguely remember, that every time that song came on I would stop whatever I was doing, jump on that horse and ride so hard that it would actually come up off the floor. I still think it's a cool song; hearing it again after so many years.

Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire Album is hard to beat. I've always loved western ballads and this one is full of them; Johnny Yuma, Remember the Alamo and even Bonanza. I remember mowing about an acre lawn on a now archaic riding lawnmower. But I wasn't bored. I was a long-lost Cartwright daughter, riding the range on my trusty horse, keeping an eye out for trouble while singing the song in my head.

It will take awhile to go though these and I'll have to make a place for them. I feel like they're a piece of musical history; even the ones I don't particularly like.

The backs of the albums usually tell a little about the artist and the songs chosen for the album; and I actually like the cracklin' sound of the albums.

kdr