Monday, February 09, 2009

Feelings as self-revelations

After the Sugar Bowl, Tim Tebow made a statement giving glory to God during an interview. My aunt told me that her friend, who is an atheist, got all mad about it and started ranting about 'separation of church and state'...She said that she got really mad at him about it.

I wondered why Tebow's public display of faith would make him so mad. I didn't think it had anything really to do with the 'separation' comment.
Then I wondered why it made my aunt so mad that he didn't like Tebow's statement.

Well, God began to pose the same question to me. The first time was when I was angry over something someone said which I thought was totally out of line. But it shouldn't have made me angry. The real reason I was angry was because self-righteousness had creeped in.

I've also discovered that I get angry when someone tries to manipulate me, even when I don't yet realize it on a conscious level. I am right to be angry over manipulation and I don't need to tolerate it, but I still need to love and pray for the one attempting to manipulate. Paul says something about our fight being with principalities and not flesh and blood.

So now when I feel angry or uncomfortable or some other emotion, I ask myself and God, why I feel this way, and how I should respond. This has been a great help in keeping me spiritually healthy.

kdr