Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"The Undefeated"

Jose' and I have been watching John Wayne movies lately. Don't ask me why. I think it began when we caught "Rio Bravo" on a movie channel one evening. Though I have to admit that the highlight of the movie for me is Dean Martin's singing. Rick Nelson joins him and sings one verse while Dean whistles in the background. Rick has a good voice, but still, Dean can even whistle better than Rick sings. I stole that comment from Jose'.

Anyway, we recently watched "The Undefeated" starring John Wayne and Rock Hudson. Until then I wasn't a Rock Hudson fan. I liked it because both men were strong-willed, yet very gracious. (I'm rereading this, does it sound as hokey as I fear it does?) I really don't want an answer to that.

But the best scene by far is the opening scene. John Wayne is Col. Thomas fighting with the Union. They are bombarding a small band of Confederates with cannon balls. The Col. rides onto the battleground to survey the damage. A courier rides up with the news that the war's been over for three days.

Col. Thomas rides up to the surviving Confederates under a flag of truce and asks who's in charge. An unknown major responds. The conversation goes something like this:

Col.: "The war is over."
Maj. "yes, sir."
Col.: "You mean you knew?"
Maj.: "Yes sir, we got news two days ago."
Col.: "You mean you knew and you're still gonna fight?"
Maj.: "Haven't we just proven it?"
Col.: "But why?"
Maj.: "Because it's our land, and you're on it."
Col.: "But we're all Americans!"
Maj.: "Yes sir, thats always been the saddest part..."

The guy acting as the major says his lines with such humility and such resolve. We think he should've won an award. Maybe he did.

On a lighter note, Jose' thinks Rock Hudson's looks and mannerisms in this movie resemble Bruce Campbell's. When he said this to me, I was appalled! I only know Bruce Campbell from the "Army of Darkness". I thought he was comparing the character of the two roles. He explained that He's seen Bruce in other things and was simply comparing looks and mannerisms. He thinks theirs are similar. Well, that's better, I guess...I'm definitely NOT a Bruce Campbell fan. And he is definitely NOT gracious in "Army of Darkness" ...I think he's a jerk!

KDR