Tuesday, August 05, 2008

HOME SWEET HOME.....

What pops into my mind initially is the adage 'Home is where the heart is'. And you know....I believe that. For me (and I preface my comments often) home is where life happens. I go out and work (some days longer than others) and most of it is a blur. I vaguely remember the specifics of any given work day, which is why I try to keep a work journal. When I get home, it's like I'm apart of something bigger than myself. And I am.



Denise and I have been reading two books for a while now. One of them is 100 DAYS IN THE SECRET PLACE, a compilation of writings arranged by GENE EDWARDS. I was really slow to start on this book. Denise had been telling me how great it was and how God had been using it to change her. Gene Edwards compiled the writings of seventeenth century writers Molinos, Fenelon and Guyon. It's amazing how relevant it is to me (today!). It's not hard to read at all. The book could be treated as a daily devotional. One thing that I've gotten out of this book is we (as Jesus followers) all experience the same feeling and emotions. I can relate to all 3 writers in this book. Their situations and discussions have really helped me 'walk' out my life. We all know that God is eternal....and I guess that's why the book is so relevant to me today.....these guys have been there and done that. Glad that they wrote it down!



The other book that has really helped Denise and I is called DECISIONS BY THE BOOK, written my JOHN DEAL. I met John Deal several months
ago at a conference that Bobby Sparks invited me to. He was a speaker. I was really taken by what he had to say.......hard truth....but truth none the less! You can treat this book like a daily devotional as well. It's packed full of wisdom (practical and spiritual). Everything from being a Christian businessman to treating your wife right. Good stuff.



Denise and I have been reading both books together. There is some kind of synergy between 100 DAYS and the DECISIONS book. Both books encourage the reader to seek God deeper and deeper.......focus on what's truly important and to love like Christ loved. I can really only scratch the surface here.....and I know that I'm no wizard when it comes to writing......but the synergy that was created between the study of these two book with my bible reading has been life changing. It's almost as if God flipped the light switch on in my head and my heart. It's not a method or a formula.......it's a life change! -JGR