Wednesday, July 11, 2007

REALLY WILD AT HEART

I've really taken to watching this guy on TV nowadays. To top that....I've got Carolina watching him as well. It's an adventure to see what this guy ends up doing to survive. We especially love it when he eats something 'raw' or 'wiggly'. The down side of this is..... I've been successful at driving my wife and mother-in-law from the room. After this happened....it got me to thinking......'Why do I like this show?' Then it dawned on me.

A book that I really loved was 'Wild At Heart' and 'Journey of Desire'. What Eldredge says about men is that they have a need for adventure.......they have a need to rescue the damsel and basically to overcome 'something'. I know that I'm really condensing his point, but basically that's it. Personally, I love adventure. Years ago in college, I spent a lot of time camping. I would enjoy camping now....but I don't do it.

Back to the show. The host of the show/survivor is Bear Grylls. He has his own blog if you're interested: http://www.beargrylls.blogspot.com/ I just happened to come across it while looking for a photo of him. I don't know when I'll ever be lost in the Amazon or parachuting out of a plane into the Rocky Mtns, but what I love about the show is what I learn about people. Today, in this age and time, nobody has to eat grubs.......snakes.....or go long periods without food and water. At least not in this country. It's amazing what the human body can do and what it can take(physically). What he does is show people that we can get out of our comfort zone.........we can survive in any situation. In one episode....he shows the viewer how to escape quicksand. To me that's amazing. We're capable of a lot more than we give ourselves credit for......all we need is a little knowledge and common sense. I think that applies to any area of our life! -JGR