Monday, May 07, 2007

HOW TO BE AN ENTREPRENEUR

If you like the logo (above)......David Finlayson is 'the man'! Need one?.....email him at david@finlayson.com
Going in business for yourself is a big step. It's quite the commitment and investment. How do you know if you're a success or not? How long do you invest time and money into a business before you decide 'this isn't going to work'? Just to get through all the 'red tape' was a monumental event for me. I ended up having to get 4 different licenses just to do business (legally).

Owning your own business is the 'American Dream'. Some people are happy with a regular '9 to 5'. Some people don't want to work at all. I mean..honestly.....if you didn't have to work...would you? I probably wouldn't.....I'd have lots of hobbies. But seeing as how most of us need to eat and pay our bills....we have to work.

To be an entrepreneur is to be a 'risk taker'. I'm learning. I have a dream(vision) to own a business. I love the freedom (time) to come and go as I please. The down side is sometimes your day doesn't end.

I guess what I'm getting at here is this.......what I'm learning is that there are many factors that come into play with entrepreneur-ship. Are you good at what you do? Is it something that you enjoy? Can you see yourself successful at the business? I ask myself these questions. Another factor is resources. How long can I sustain the cost? One of my friends told me a while back...."if you can pay the taxes...then you'll survive". Another factor is my spouse. I have a wonderful wife who is very supportive. She shares in the cost. We have to give up our time for me to work the business. For example....a few weeks ago......we were invited to go up to Huntsville to visit family......and well....we couldn't go because I needed to take a car to a car show(to sell). And as it happens sometimes.....the car didn't sell and we missed out on family time. She has to share in the cost. She is a wonderful wife......understanding. She wants the same thing I want. The other factor I can think of this.......is this the direction that God is leading me? For me...it's hard to tell sometimes. I look at it this way......I'm here right now......I'm licensed......it's legal.......there are open doors before me. I just have to walk through them.

Anyways....I could keep going with this.......I learn something new all of the time. I like the challenge and I like the risk. To me it's worth it. I'm blessed that I have a good wife who wants the same thing I do. And if I need to.....I want to know when to 'bow out' gracefully. That's the hard thing for me.......to know when enough is enough. I guess it's all apart of the learning process.......how to be an entrepreneur.