Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Our Weekend

I'll start with Friday, Jan. 23. We got up and began our day with our usual dose of coffee. Today was the day we were going to my dad's house to chop down two trees. We love trees but these two were dangerously close to the house. My dad made breakfast for us. We had biscuits, gravy, sausage, bacon and scrambled eggs. My brother came to help, also. He wanted some of the wood for his fireplace.

While the guys proceeded to cut down the trees, I made two batches of fudge; one with walnuts and one plain. By this time the trees were down, so I sprang into action on cleanup crew. This consisted of loading firewood into the back of a truck as my brother cut them to size, dragging branches not fit for firewood to a trailer attached to another truck and raking up stray sticks and dead leaves, piling them in a wheelbarrow and dumping them in the garden. My dad plans to burn them there. I haven't asked him, but I believe he thinks that the ash will be good for the soil.

We began the job around 9 am. My dad and brother had to leave around 1 pm. My husband and I finished with cleanup and rolled the four big logs near the carport. This was not an easy task. He used a 4' crowbar, to pry it on one end as I pushed with all my strength on the other. Where are my super powers when I need them? He also had to cut off some large knots so that the trunks would roll. Oh, and speaking of tools, I recently discovered that the television program, Tool Academy, is NOT one that demonstrates various tools; which was my expectation when I tuned in. I'm not sure what it's about since I quickly shut it off, but I would not recommend it.
We finished up around 3 pm. We could not have picked a better day to work outside, as it was sunny with a welcome breeze that was almost balmy. We then proceeded to the barn to feed and visit with the animals. Even though we were tired, we were reluctant to go inside, so we made our way to the pond, which was full and pretty. Then back to the barn where we climbed into the hayloft to sit and enjoy the sights, sounds and scents. The scents were even pleasant at this time; the smell of hay and old wood and horses. We were very tired, but pleasantly so. There was something satisfying about working hard together and completing a task.

The trees were an oak and a hickory. Jose' said the hickory was much harder to cut. He plans to try and get the wood planed to make a table or something out of it.

Saturday we slept a little later, ran some errands, then went to some friends' house around 2 pm. We stayed until about 5:30 pm. When we got home, we ended up watching the Senior Bowl. We enjoy football and are going to miss it. We will probably watch the Super Bowl on Sunday and then no more football until next season.

I will post about Sunday later, as this is turning out to be quite lengthy. It was a good day for us as well. Until then...

kdr