Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Nissi's Notes

We just got back from Lowe's with a tree to decorate for Christmas. Until last year, we were getting a frasier fir. But last year, after we had already picked out a beautifully fragrant tree, and Jose' was already standing in line with it, I decided I really wanted a douglas fir. The reason? It smelled a little more Christmasy to me. So now I have an annual inward battle over which to buy. The frasier is a little prettier and lots easier to decorate and still has a great aroma. But I once again chose the douglas. That slight difference in smell is enough for me. Even if my arms do get scratched while I string lights. Last year, though, was quite comical, looking back. Jose' going back and forth with that tree, until fragrance won over beauty and convenience. He's smart, though. This year as I went side to side sniffing trees, Jose' went directly to the douglas side and picked one out.

I recently read on mb's blog about beginning the Christmas season too soon. My family is the exact same way. You put up the tree the day after Thanksgiving, never before. I used to agree. But, each year, that time between Thanksgiving and Christmas seems shorter and shorter. I need more time to sit and reflect on the magical wonder of the love of God for mankind, enhanced by the lights and fragrance of the tree and the smell of hot chocolate or cinnamony cider. And Christmas doesn't take away from Thanksgiving to me; it makes me even more thankful. If I could talk myself into getting an artificial tree and the fragrance in a can, I would put it up on Halloween. So, having a live tree actually keeps me from breaking with tradition and putting it up too early. In fact, because I like to leave mine up until after the new year, I get mine a little later than tradition allows. I'm planning to decorate it on friday evening. I have to concentrate on football saturday.

Love to All...