Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Two Prayers

The Bible is loaded with wonderful prayers; and over the years I have made many of them my own; simply because they so adequately expressed things in my heart that I had been unable to put into words.

At this point in my life, two prayers stand out for me. One is the prayer of Jabez. I had heard of it and seen books about it, but had never read any of them. Some friends brought it to my attention recently and I found it to be a concise way to express the desires of my own heart. It can be found in I Chronicles 4:10.

"Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!" kjv

"Oh, that you would bless me and expand my territory! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain!" new living translation

The other is near the end of Psalm 19.

"Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me; then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression."

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer." kjv

kdr