Monday, July 13, 2009

The Roots



I recently planted some radish seeds in the garden; later, when hoeing weeds and morning glories, I realized I wouldn't recognize the radish plants and might hoe them as well. I meant to look in the produce section at the store, but forgot. So I watched the posted video.

I already knew that the roots grow down as the leaves grow up, but never really thought much about the roots. For years, I spent most of my energy trying to push through that top layer of soil and produce some nice green leaves. I wanted people to recognize that I was a good, useful plant.

But those roots; they don't care what people think, they're not even seen; they're intent on going deeper and deeper into the soil to provide a strong, sturdy foundation for healthy growth.

Who knew I could learn from a radish?!!!

kdr