Friday, October 17, 2008

WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING....

The last 5 weeks I've been spending my time working on Rainbow Landing. What a wonderful opportunity this was for me to grow as a contractor. This experience has been great.Basically the work that we were doing is simple. Replace all the hand rails and decking boards with new wood. A part of the job description detailed exactly what we were to use.....even the name brand of wood. Simple. You can tell from the above photo the difference between the old and new wood.
This is a pier/boat dock that we completed a few weeks ago. In just two weeks the sun had already darkened the wood. We've gotten many comments about how nice the landing looks. I'm excited about the work that we've done.
This is a shot of the runner supports under the decking. You can see the old wood that we removed. Below you can see the load that we usually left with every day.

Overall we averaged about 100 to 150 boards removed and replaced per day. One of the hardest aspects of the job was finding suitable lumber. We used YellaWood brand treated lumber. Nice wood....but tended to have a lot of crack and curves in the length of the boards. Usually I would pull out 30% of the lumber and not use it. Everything was put down with screws.....no nails. This was a problem.....until I bought a Quick Drive screw gun. Basically it allows the user to stand up and drive the screws in a relaxed posture. Also...the screws were in strip form and automatically fed themselves. Nice. A real time saver. Well worth the price. In the picture below you can see Aaron (my father-in-law) holding the screw gun. The guy to his right is Amos. The guy in the water off to the left is J.D. Not shown is Mike. I would not have been able to do the work that was done without the skill and labor of these guys. Like I said before......I've learned a lot on this job. It was a great learning experience and confidence booster as a contractor. Also, I've really developed an appreciation for Rainbow Landing and it's availability to the public. I've even been fishing a couple of times with my nephew Aaron. I'm not done with the job yet.....but the finish line is only a few steps away.