Wednesday, October 08, 2008

GEORGE

Greetings. This is George. His story is this: I was with Aaron (father-in-law) one day at Whisenant's feed store in Steele Alabama. Denise and I had just gotten Cleo (our little pygmy goat) and wanted to get her a companion. So while at the feed store a gentleman walks up to us and asks if we would like a free pygmy goat. He sparked my curiosity. He said that the goat was grown....a male.....and needed a home. George was purchased as a baby for this guys grandchildren. He said that they had played with him until one day they lost interest in him and now he (George) needed some other goats to be around. George had been neutered as well. Sounded good to me.......

So Aaron and I got George and brought him home with us. I found out one thing really quickly.......see if you can figure it out........
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Yep! You guessed it.

He is very unassuming. He did put up a good fight when we were loading him up to bring him home. But I would have never thought he'd be this mean. George is very cunning. He waits until you feel secure and busy with the task at hand.......and WAMMO! That's George. You know......Vicki (Denise's sister) made an astute observation. She said that no wonder the grandchildren didn't want to play with him anymore.......he probably beat them up all the time. Beware of free goats!
On a better note...........
We've been enjoying the birds this fall. Denise keeps them in food and water and they keep us entertained. Denise has tried to photo them....but out camera isn't the greatest at zoom shots. But you get the idea.

Our ducks are doing well. We did lose one. The smallest of the 3. The other two are growing day by day. They've really taken to life down the barn.


I've been working on a place for out pygmy goats to live. Aaron told us that we could use a portion of the pasture that's fenced in with a little shack (in the background) to raise them. I decided to put up a new fence along the front (not shown) and build a nice entrance for us to walk in. I may have gone a bit overboard but I think it's worth it. I built a nice iron gate decorated with horse shoes.
This was my first attempt at welding a large piece. It took me all day to put it together. I then painted it black and hung it on the posts. It excites me to be able to create functional pieces like this. I'm looking forward to making more! -JGR